I added the final border on my modern medallion quilt. I decided to come back to the medallion center with a yellow and white half square triangle border. The final quilt is just under 70 inches square. It has been an interesting journey with this quilt. I didn't have an overall plan from the beginning, so it's been a bit organic in its development. I am pleased with the results so far. I have the backing and some binding ready, so onto quilting this one!
I added some bold orange and blue on this border. I decided to change it up and not to the same thing all the way around. I love this house print by Dear Stella and added it on the top and bottom.
The size at this point is about 60 inches square. I didn't really follow the widths the group did entirely. I have one more border to go at this point and then I will be ready to sandwich and quilt this!
I struggled quite a lot with the next border. I initially was just going to do some four patches, but after putting them together and putting them next to the quilt, I didn't like it at all. So I used some shot cotton and made a frame around the first border to break things up. Then I added the four patches with some white. The next border is piano keys.
I am not beyond this point yet, but I have a plan :).
I have been very slowly working on my medallion for Broadbents Modern Quilt Group. I had a hard time deciding what I was envisioning and where to go next. This is the first border. It is 6.5 inches wide.
My favorite part about the medallion challenge, is everyone's are so different. A lot of creativity and thought goes into everyone's projects.
This quilt is out of Camille Roskelly'sSimplify Book. I have so many precuts that I haven't cut into, so one day I decided to just start making things from my stash. And that morphed into deciding to sew through Simplify. I am currently three projects into the book.
One thing I have learned about older precuts is they are not the uniform size they are now. This is the Arcadia line and it only had 36 squares in it's charm pack. Therefore, this quilt doesn't look like the one in the book because that project would require 42 squares. I didn't even notice this until I started putting the rows together, and by then I decided 36 square would be just fine.
The pattern called for a raw edge binding and I love the way it turned out. You just use leftover honey bun strips folded in half. The first time I washed the quilt it was a linty mess, but it stopped shedding pretty quickly.
I stitched two rows over the binding for extra strength. I love this line of fabric and I love the way this quilt turned out. It was a great first project from the book with easy to follow instructions.
I made this quilt for friend and her new baby girl back in April.
I have been slow to blog lately but I have been sewing a bit more. Between baseball, end of school, vacation, and summer, blogging has taken a bit of a backseat.
I used a dark purple Kona Cotton and a white on the front. I used an Anna Maria Horner print on the back. I love the simplicity of the patter and the contrast. I must say though, there is a lot of trimming. But the quilt comes together pretty fast.
I quilted around each houndstooth. The over all size is 42 X 42.